The Cultural Affairs Bureau of Changhua CountyOur Beginning

The Cultural Affairs Bureau of the Changhua County Government was formerly known as the Cultural Center of the Changhua County, which was built to be a library and to handle the social, educational and cultural activities according to Article 4 of the “Social Education Law” enacted by The Legislative Yuan, Republic of China in 1978. According to the “County and City Cultural Center Construction Program, Ministry of Education”, the center was prepared for construction and contracted out in June 1981. It was designed by Professor Han Pao-The, began to be built on June 26, 1981 and was completed in January 1983. On October 4, 1983, the cultural center had the grand opening with the consolidation of Changhua County Library. The former Changhua City Library was built in July 1936 during the colonial period by the Japanese and was renamed Changhua County Library in September 1950, at which time the Yuanlin Branch was also established. In 1951, the Lugang Reading Room was set up in July 1951, and the Beidou and Lugang Branches were established in 1955. The Yuanlin Branch was deactivated in December 1986, and the Beidou and Lugang Branches were deactivated in September 1988. The county library was located where the present Changhua Branch of Land Bank currently stands next to Changhua City Office.

Development and History

There were 19 employees in the initial operation stage within the organization of the three sections of museum, promotion and art, all under a director (also the librarian) and a secretary (also the chief of general affairs) who handled and implemented the social, educational and cultural activities based on the library and financially supported by the Council for Cultural Affairs, Executive Yuan and the Education Department, Taiwan Provincial Government. The first director of the Cultural Center of Changhua County was Mr. Lin Hai-Ching.
Nan Guan and Bei Guan CenterIn cooperation with the Council for Cultural Affairs of Executive Yuan and the Culture Department of the Taiwan Provincial Government to promote the national arts and culture festivals to be locally rooted and the comprehensive community buildings, the Cultural Affairs Bureau has become the main force for promoting local culture since 1994. With the planned construction of the exclusive art performance venues including the Nan Guan and Bei Guan Center and the Yuanlin Performance Hall, and due to the increasing responsibilities of routine business, the original organization of 19 people could not handle the new business and the services that needed to be provided. The plan for the organization’s expansion began at the end of 1993 and took more than four years to be approved by the authorities and county government for an expansion to 46 people in May 1998 with an annual recruitment of nine people for three years from 1999. The new organization was supervised by a director and a secretary and divided into the two sections: general affairs and promotion, three halls: library, gallery and museum, and two units: personnel and accounting.
Yuanlin Performance HallIn August 1999, the Ministry of the Interior enacted and issued the “Criteria for Local Administrative Organizations” in accordance with Paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 of Article 62 of the Law for Local Government Systems. According to Paragraph 2 of Article 3 of the “Criteria for Local Administrative Organizations”, any county or city government shall set up self-government ordinances and related regulations in accordance with this criteria. In accordance with Paragraph 1 of Article 11 of the “Organization of Self-government Ordinance, Changhua County Government”, the “Organization Regulations and Chart of the Cultural Affairs Bureau, Changhua County Government” was enacted by the Cultural Affairs Bureau of Changhua County Government, examined and passed by the county affairs conference, and then sent to the Ministry of Civil Service for approval and reference.
In January 2000, the Cultural Affairs Bureau of Changhua County Government was officially restructured and promoted to be a first-class organization subordinate to the Changhua County Government. With a total of 51 people, the organization was supervised by a director, a deputy director and a secretary and divided into seven sections: library information, cultural assets, arts promotion, visual performance, traditional opera (Nan Guan and Bei Guan Center), Southern Changhua art performances (Yuanlin Performance Hall) and administration, as well as three offices: personnel, accounting and civil service ethics. The Cultural Affairs Bureau of Changhua County Government had the grand opening on March 1, 2000 and Mr. Lee Chun-Te (the former director of the Cultural Center of Changhua County Government) acted as the first director. The Cultural Center, a red building that has erected next to the Baguashan Ceremonial Arch since 1983, was thus transformed into the Cultural Affairs Bureau and soared to great new heights.

The Cultural Affairs Bureau of Changhua CountyShowing Grace beneath Ba-Gua Shan

Located at the intersection of Zhongshan Road and Guashan Road in Changhua City, the Cultural Affairs Bureau of Changhua County is situated at the city’s main arteries, adjacent to the business district with a dense population. Its construction was planned in January 1978, contracted out in June 1981, designed by Prof. Han Pao-The; the construction work began on the 26th of June 1981, and the building was completed in January 1983 and officially opened on October 4, 1983. Our design philosophy combines traditional aesthetics and modern style in order to achieve the Bureau’s functions in an inherently dignified manner and with exquisite beauty.

The Cultural Affairs Bureau of Changhua CountyArchitectural Features

With traditional features, our building combines traditional aesthetics and modern style for the external structure and internal furnishings. With the principles of the most economical methods, elaborately designed and planned by the celebrated architect, Mr. Han Pao-teh, the architecture is inherently dignified and exquisitely beautiful, which creates a sense of affinity for the public.

  • Back
  • Top